In this unit we will explore:
- the purposes and rationale behind data visualization
- various methods of communicating historical data in visual forms
Tuesday, October 15
Introduction to Data Visualization
- Gibbs, Frederick W. “New Forms of History: Critiquing Data and Its Representations.”The American Historian, 2016.
- Thiebault, John. “Visualizations and Historical Arguments.” Writing History in the Digital Age, March 23, 2012.
- “A Periodic Table of Visualization Methods” Visual Literacy
- “Old Data Visualizations.” Data Visualization, April 25, 2009. https://apandre.wordpress.com/library/oldcharts/
- “Baby Name Wizard Graph of Most Popular Baby Names.” Baby Name Wizard, October 10, 2010.
- Data Visualization: Basic Principles
- Spencer Roberts, “Spreadsheets for Historians“
Thursday, October 17
Note: Before class, please register for an account with Plotly. You don’t need to do anything else, but getting an account set up will save time in class on Thursday.
For In-Class Use: